Early Open Source Marketing Manifesto
(27 April, 2015) Watch Ben’s 44-minute presentation to his Inner Circle group, giving an overview of why the world needs Open Source Marketing, and how OSM may be structured.
Ben’s five-minute introduction to Open Source Marketing
If you’re new to the idea of Open Source Marketing, here’s the low-down.
Open Source Marketing started as a course in online marketing called “Ultimate Web Design“, which developed the core project phases and the Circuit model. As soon as my team and I started working with these tools, we realized it was the most powerful and comprehensive marketing method we had ever used, and we started having conversations about how the world needed free access to the material.
In January 2015, I decided to make Ultimate Web Design, and all my other books and training courses free and open-source. (Here’s my blog post that explains more about the reasoning.)
Why It’s Free
- The world needs great marketing. It can make the difference between life and death for a business.
- But not everyone who needs one can afford a marketing education. (And there’s very little good marketing education around anyway. Most of the training offered by “Internet Marketing gurus” is not as useful in the real world as it’s claimed to be.)
- Information wants to be free, so why reserve good education resources only for those who can afford to pay fees?
- True experts, who really want to serve and help people, can earn money by actually helping people through their services. We don’t need to ransom off our knowledge to the highest bidder.
- There are no right answers. Context is everything. Anyone who tells you that you MUST use the latest technique (which they’re usually selling) is lying. Anything can be helpful, and anything can be unhelpful.
- That’s why the key to competing and succeeding today is in strategy. Get the fundamentals right, and your campaigns will run more easily, cheaply, and smoothly.
- In OSM, we take time to think about the strategy and to design campaigns before investing anything in execution.
- We don’t just take the situation as we find it, but strive to think creatively about how we could improve the fundamentals of a business proposition before going to market.
- Campaign delivery does not have to be a massive up-front investment (of time or money). The old model of web design is dead. OSM aims to apply lean principles of testing assumptions, fast iterations, and continual improvement, wherever appropriate.
- Once a campaign is running, there may be opportunities to optimize it. Sometimes, optimization (particularly of ads and/or conversion funnels) can make the difference between making a loss or making a profit. However, it is not always justified. (There are no right answers, remember.)
How To Use Open Source Marketing
DIY: If you do your own marketing, please take this system, use it, and tell us if you think it can be improved.
Clients: If you hire other people to do your marketing, using people who’ll use Open Source Marketing means you will both understand the process better, and be able to communicate it to other service providers.
Marketing Professionals: Please adopt Open Source Marketing and use it with your clients. As part of this community, you have a team of other marketing pros alongside you, who can help at any point in a project, all using a common platform.
If You Need Help: Whoever or wherever you may be, there is a large team of OSM professionals who are happy to offer advice, consulting, or even hands-on support, even by the hour.